MIL-STD-1553 (M1553) Data Bus – Mil-Spec Wire & Cable
MIL-STD-1553 standard was created for serial data bus cable by the United States Department of Defense (USDOD) for use in their avionics systems. It was later adopted by NASA for use in spacecraft on-board data handling subsystems. Due to its rugged and reliable time-tested performance record, MIL-STD-1553 has been expanded beyond its original domain to embrace international military and commercial applications such as watercraft, satellites, aerospace avionics, missiles, and the International Space Station Program. MIL-STD-1553 also boasts superior performance in areas and applications that are exposed to higher levels of electromagnetic interference (EMI).
Some of the additional features of MIL-STD-1553 serial data bus cable include:
- Multiple (usually dual) redundant balanced line physical layers
- Half-duplex command/response protocol
- Differential network interface
- Time division multiplexing
- Operating range of -55°C to +200°C (-67°F to 392°F)
- Can handle up to 31 remote terminals or devices
Note: MIL-STD-1553B replaced the MIL-STD-1553A standard. MIL-STD-1553 also meets SAE AS15531 requirements.
MIL-STD-1553 Product Specifications
In addition, MIL-DTL-17/176 cable is used in 1 Mhz multiplex applications in accordance with MIL-STD-1553.